Full Time Indiana Swimming Executive Director
Indiana Swimming, one of USA Swimming’s largest and highest performing LSCs, is seeking an experienced and passionate leader to serve as its Executive Director. The Executive Director will report to the Indiana Swimming Board of Directors and will work collaboratively with the board and staff in constructing and executing the organization’s strategic business plan based on the Indiana Swimming vision and mission.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Gregg Mudd, Indiana Swimming Personnel Committee Chair, at email@example.com no later than Saturday, September 1, 2018.
Indiana Swimming is a tax-exempt organization and is governed by its House of Delegates and a Board of Directors as described in its by-laws. The Board of Directors and a professional staff work in partnership to achieve the vision and mission of Indiana Swimming while serving the needs of our members. The Indiana Swimming office is located in Suite 410 of the Pan Am Office Building. 201 South Capitol Ave. Indianapolis, IN 46225.
Indiana Swimming Vision: Growing Champions. Inspiring Dreams.
Indiana Swimming Mission: Indiana Swimming inspires excellence through progressive, innovative programs & partnerships.
As the most senior staff position within the organization, the Executive Director is responsible for the strategic leadership of the organization to ensure its future relevance, credibility, growth, and viability. The Executive Director works directly with the Board to establish organizational objectives and priorities that are aligned with the needs and mission of Indiana Swimming. The Executive Director reviews, monitors, and evaluates the progress of the priorities and ensures that the objectives and operating requirements are achieved each year.
This position functions as a goodwill ambassador for Indiana Swimming and USA Swimming as well as each individual club and team within the LSC. The Executive Director works directly with community, civic and business leaders, local partners, individual club leaders, and USA Swimming personnel fostering strong relationships within the community and with its stakeholders while creating a conducive work environment representative of the Indiana Swimming culture and values. The Executive Director actively facilitates achievement of the LSC’s goals and objectives via collaboration and partnerships and through involvement of the greater swimming community and by promoting philanthropic and fundraising / development opportunities across multiple spectrums.
The Executive Director reports to and is accountable to the Indiana Swimming Board of Directors through its executive leadership team. The Executive Director is responsible for the recruitment, hiring, training, and management of a professional staff to support the achievement of annual and long-term goals and objectives.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
The Executive Director is responsible for the strategic day-to-day leadership and operations of Indiana Swimming, which include the following priorities:
- In conjunction with the Board, leads the development and implementation of Indiana Swimming’s philanthropic /fundraising / development and operational strategy outlining annual goals. Provides quarterly updates to the Board on all operational aspects of Indiana Swimming including financial status; sponsorships; grants; fundraising; programs; operations; LSC, Regional and National championship meets; and staff.
- Responsible for the overall operations and administration of Indiana Swimming. Continually monitors the annual objectives ensuring goals are achieved and seeks out opportunities to improve operations. Leads and manages the affairs of Indiana Swimming including budgeting; program direction; athlete, coach, and volunteer development; athlete performance; review and oversight of LSC governance practices and documents including risk management; and overall management of the professional staff.
- Overall accountability for the fiscal integrity of Indiana Swimming. Develops policies and strategies for sound financial management of Indiana Swimming. Ensures that Indiana Swimming’s annual report, including financial statements, is developed and reviewed annually. Develops and provides comprehensive budgets to the Board to achieve programming goals. Ensures rigorous accountability and long-term stability through the conservative fiscal management of resources.
- In collaboration with the Performance Committee and staff, develops and monitors athlete performance objectives and outcomes.
- With the assistance of staff and coach leaders, develops and manages a schedule of events hosted by the LSC that provide opportunities for progressive athlete development. This includes constructing bids to host events and seeking out club partners to engage in the hosting experience.
- Overall accountability for the management activities of Indiana Swimming and its professional staff to include oversight of the application and selection processes, payroll functions, reviews, staff development and training, promotion / demotion / termination as appropriate, in conjunction with the Board’s executive leadership team.
- Oversees the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures, and practices including implementation and support of a performance management system to develop, coach, and manage Indiana Swimming staff. Establish and maintain a positive work environment that reflects the culture of Indiana Swimming.
- Responsible for planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Indiana Swimming’s programing initiatives to ensure achievement of the mission of the Indiana Swimming. Overall accountability with respect to activities such as program development and strategic planning of such efforts.
- Oversight of Indiana Swimming’s LSC, regional and national efforts in the sport of swimming by enhancing teaching, coaching, swimming and club management resources, offering real-world operational experiences, and engaging a wider community necessary to support this. Work with LSC peers and USA Swimming to develop programs to broaden the reach of Indiana Swimming.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Indiana Swimming reputation by being active and visible in the greater community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations. As Executive Director of Indiana Swimming, represent the Indiana Swimming culture of “Growing Champions and Inspiring Dreams,” both internally and externally.
- Encourages and facilitates the application of technology to enable the re-engineering of programs and processes to make optimal use of resources.
- Remains current about emerging and critical trends and best practices in LSC management, technology support, and philanthropy to adopt the most effective practices for Indiana Swimming programing initiatives.
- Responsible for the oversight of all SAFE SPORT initiatives in collaboration with the LSC Safe Sport Coordinator.
- Planning, organizing, and facilitating Indiana Swimming Board meetings, annual House of Delegates programming, convention planning, and other initiatives as directed by the Board Chair.
Requirements for Position
- An exceptional portfolio reflecting 15+ years of experience in a non-profit organization and proven experience successfully managing a diverse team of professionals.
- Affiliation with and understanding of the sport of swimming with preferred experience developing elite athletes.
- Proven leadership and team building skills. Superior communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong executive experience and business acumen and understanding of financial statements. Ability to think strategically and creatively and to develop and implement highly effective strategic plans. Creative problem-solving skills, strong project management skills, and excellent time management.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively build relationships and interact with Board members, community, business and civic leaders as well as USA Swimming staff and associates at all levels within the organization. A demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Flexibility for significant travel time within the LSC visiting events and clubs and outside the LSC engaging in USA Swimming programs and initiatives.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree a plus.